Signed in as:
- My Account
Signed in as:
“We are a Society of individuals committed to advancing the arts and culture in the cities of Surrey and White Rock by developing community partnerships, supporting continuous learning, inspiring creativity, promoting local art and fostering community through fellowship.”
Through the following activities and resources, we provide opportunities for members to meet other artists and to improve their creative skills:
· Member’s meetings – include society business and a presentation by a qualified artist. They are held on the second Monday of each month (except for July and August), at 7:00 p.m. at South Surrey Recreation and Arts Centre, 14601 20th Ave, Surrey, BC. In the event the meeting date falls on a holiday, it will be rescheduled to the following Monday.
· Library - offers a vast array of art reference books, videos and DVDs, available for loan.
· Newsletter – is sent monthly by e-mail with the exception of July and August.
· Art challenges – periodic challenges stretch participants to learn and try new ideas or themes.
· Plein air painting group – meets at different outdoor areas on Tuesday mornings, June to September.
· Public art exhibitions – substantial exhibitions, well received by the community, are held two to three times per year. Our works are also showcased at a number of local businesses. Members are encouraged to demonstrate their artistic progress by displaying and selling their artwork.
· Workshops – Thursday evening classes and full day weekend workshops are held throughout the year.
The South Surrey and White Rock Art Society (SSWRAS) donated $250,000 to the City of Surrey. The funds complemented a $2.1 million dollar cultural development project funded under the City’s “Build Surrey” program to create a new arts space in South Surrey. “I want to thank the South Surrey and White Rock Art Society for its generous financial contributions toward the new arts facility in South Surrey”, said Mayor Dianne Watts. “The new facility will enhance our vibrant arts and culture community, and provide new opportunities for artists and art lovers in our city.”
We have fulfilled our 5‐year commitment to Emily Carr University. SSWRAS will now provide an annual entrance scholarship to a local high school graduate who has been accepted to the Visual Arts Program at Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
Membership fees are currently $60 per person, however membership is currently full for the coming year.
Those who want up-to-date society information, and discounts on workshops and classes are encouraged to sign-up as a Patron Member for $25 per person (no waitlist).
You are encouraged to pay your fees through the website, as membership fills quickly and is capped at 200. Payments are also accepted at the first yearly meeting in September. Once membership is full a waitlist is maintained for the following year.
The South Surrey and White Rock Art Society was founded in 1959 by a group of artists who wanted to paint together. The group, initially known as the ‘Painters’ Workshop’ became the ‘White Rock Painting and Sketch Club’ in 1962, and was registered as a non-profit society. Membership grew to over 100, more than half of whom lived outside the White Rock City limits. In 1997 the name was changed again to the ‘White Rock and South Surrey Art Society’, its current name, to reflect the changing demographics of the club.
In 1994, Sheila Symington and Kay Jenkins started the very successful ‘White Rock Summer School of the Arts’ as a branch of the parent organization. Funds raised by the school were added to the proceeds made at art auctions during several well attended garden parties held by the society. Further funding was provided through grants from the BC Gaming Commission.
The South Surrey and White Rock Art Society is presently composed of 200 members working in various media and at many skill levels. We have four lifetime members, Sheila Symington who has been a member since 1972, Lora Armbruster who joined in 1997, Carole Milne who joined the society in 2010, and Sandra Wagstaff.
The Society encourages its members and those in the community to participate in and develop an appreciation of the visual arts. Our members stretch their skills while having lots of fun!
Copyright © 2022 South Surrey White Rock Art Society - All Rights Reserved.